Sunday 8 April 2012

Aligning and sizing the cover

This week is all about aligning and sizing the cover panel. First though I needed to do the final trimming of the chassis spine hole so I knew exactly what size to make the panel. Corners have a radius to minimise the risk of cracking.



The shape of the hole was transferred to a cardboard template and then on to the cover panel.



Testing for size and alignment as there is no going back after the final cuts are made!


I decided that the panel needed to be moved to the rear slightly so marked up again. Good job I left sufficient material at each end when doing the rough cutting.



Final alignment check and I was happy.



Here you see the card template I made. Note the datum marks for alignment (dashes at top and bottom). These were duplicated on both the cover panel and chassis spine to make sure everyting went back where it should as I started to do the final trimming.



Final check before cutting. As always, measure twice, cut once!

No comments:

Post a Comment