Monday 27 August 2012

What lies beneath?

There is a lot of filler in the body and, given the quality of welding I can see, I want to know what is underneath it all, so this is the start of removing it, assessing what repairs have been done before and completing repairs to the standard I want. I also want to put some strength back in the body as soon as possible. With both these thoughts in mind I'm starting at the rear. I'll put in some rear cross members (currently missing) but before doing this I need to look at what is underneath the filler and seam sealer shown below.



 
Most of what is covering the repair here is seam sealer so its a bit tricky to remove. I resorted to using an old wood chisel to "cut" it off and then removed the remainder with a wire brush on the angle grinder (this tended to melt the remnants rather than actually brush it away).



First bit of poor repair found.



The rest of the repair doesn't look too bad but does look like a home made repair panel on this side so I'll replace this with OE metal.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment